In 1998 we bought “True Blue” in Adelaide where it had been sitting in a suburban garage for about 20 years. Behind some weathered and worn timber doors the 1953 car had suffered quite a bit of rust to the grille and front panels. However, a week after it had been home, and with the addition of a new 6 volt battery and fresh petrol, it actually kicked to life – briefly. We took it as a good sign for the future.
Luckily, our timing in getting True Blue back to roadworthiness was excellent because it coincided with the SA government deciding to grant ownership of registration numbers – upon payment of course. The registration plate “SA 215 – 215” is now ours. Some years later, the whole car had a bare metal re-spray, the grille was re-chromed, and mechanicals renewed.
Behind some weathered and worn timber doors the 1953 car had suffered quite a bit
In more recent years we have had the original motor reconditioned, interior repainted as well as the upholstery redone, and rubbers replaced. We always wanted a 6V radio to compliment the car, and with some “possible goers” we had found at swap meets etc, we located a semi-retired radio engineer who resurrected one good working unit for us.
Now there is nothing better than switching on the Air Chief radio while driving on club runs or outings!
Rob and Deb Seidel